Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Entry #98

*The device clicks on as the scratch of leather skidding against stone can be heard. The woman can be heard growling quietly like a wounded animal, and trying to catch her breath. The voice that speaks next isn't her own, but a man's voice with a serious high-Coruscaunti accent.*

   Bloody hell..  you're worse off than you looked....

   I'm sorry, Lawrence..

   Hold still. *The clatter and clank of gear being un-fastened, and hooks being unhooked, rattles into the mic as he speaks.* Whatever possesed you to keep going long enough to get to this point? It was only a salvage run.

   We took down one of them..  wasn't so bad..  'till the rest of them came about.  It was my fault. I couldn't carry my weight. I.. heh.. I'm too young.....  to be getting too old for this.......

   You baited three kimogilas at once, Nyx-Warda, what the devil did you think was going to happen? It's a wonder your sullustian friend didn't bring you home in a body-bag.

   They were only small ones.........

   I doubt that mattered much. There's no shame in backing down..  salvage isn't worth your life.

   It's not the salvage, it's the principle. If I can't take on a set of dumb animals, who's to say I'm fit for any combat at all? How am I gonna' pull through when it does count? *She breathes in sharply, and muffles her cough with a handkercheif.* Am I..  *cough* am I that washed up? ...that worn out? ...that rusty? I'm a kark-blasted has-been....

   Combat skills return with time and training. The fighting was only a small part of your mission, anyhow. *There's a rustle as he helps her pull up, and sits beside her* Think of your objective. Did you learn anything?

   Well, I learned that the sherrif isn't the one calling the shots. There's someone else..  someone that can't be identified. I should be relieved, but I can't help but think of what happened with the Starbender assignment. It's just..  too damn close..  ye'know?

   I see..   You know where Starbender is...  but then, he wasn't the only one in on the assignment, back then, was he? There could be another puppet-master-

*She breathlessly completes the thought...* Jerard Blaaq...

   He may not be involved..  but it would be best to cover all bases.

   There's something else. Plo has some kind of medicine he takes now..  "Ass kicking" medicine. Some kind of inhaler. If Blaaq..  Silverson...  anyone like that is involved, it could be more than just medicine. He did seem a bit different..  but it could just be the change of setting.

   Just in case, you should try to take a sample, and see if you can get Zan to perform a titration on it.

   Aye..   after I sleep for about a month...  heheh...

   *Chuckle* Yes...  priorities, priorities....... *The jacket can be heard being shoved away, with the rest of the gear......*


*END*

Comments

No comments:

Post a Comment